Top 10+ Hiking Safety Tips
Top 10+ hiking safety tips
- File a hike plan – where are you going & when will you return?
- Bring water – and snacks!
- Wear good shoes – and socks!
- Get a compass & map – learn and practice using them.
- Check the weather – know before you go.
- First aid kit – get CPR trained too!
- Whistle – and a mirror / reflective signaling device. Check out the Fox40 whistle!
- Know the potential for wildlife in the area – Got bear and bug spray?
- Bring rain gear – and sunglasses and sunscreen. Fancy a hat?
- Don’t hike alone – and stay on the trail.
- Tools – some things are KNIFE to have. A flashlight, rope, and fire starters are handy too.
- Plan for overnight – even if you’ll only be gone for the afternoon.