For short trips, day trips, and extended trips, you should always be prepared and have a kayak safety kit with you. Consider these items in your kit:
- First-aid kit – get CPR certified as well. Consider including a trauma kit as well.
- Water – filters and containers to collect fresh drinking water
- Knife – have a spare knife or two of different sizes
- Food supplies – several days, compact consider fishing as well
- Signaling devices – visual distress signals such as reflectors, mirror, flare gun, and electronic flares
- Compass or GPS unit – with maps of your area on it in case you get lost
- Fire Starter – and hatchet for a small fire should you need warmth, cooking, or boiling water to drink.
- Emergency shelter – emergency blankets and sleeping gear